Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ghangad & Telbaila Wall Climbing

Date: 11-12th April’09
Fort: Ghangad
Base Village: Ekole

Fort: Telbaila
Base Village: Telbaila
Group: Chakram Hikers
10th April’09: Sau, Deepak, Jayram, Vikram and me had decided to go for Telbaila Climbing with Chakram Hikers. Me, Jayram and Sau had decided to meet at Avinash’s home in Bhushi, Lonavla and sleep there for the night and next day go for Climbing to Telbaila. I reached Avinash place by 9.15 P.M. on my bike and Jayaram joined in few mins. Avinash had made Wadapav for us and we ate till our stomachs will burst. After this we had ice cream. Then Sau and Vikram joined in. We did some TP and watched Resident Evil till 2.00 A.M. and the slept.


11th April’09: We all begin on our bikes via INS Shivaji and road was excellent as it is the same road that goes to Amby Valley. Just before Ambavne Village there is a turn to right. Take this turn and road is very bad. You have a diversion at Saltar Village, But continue straight towards Bhamburde Village. Before Bhamburde is right diversion and board on tree shows the direction n towards Telbaila Village. Take this diversion and 3 K.M. more on this bad road we reached Telbaila Village. Enroute Moon was looking beautiful even in morning and little away Telbaila imposing look on the base village was commendable. We reached Telbaila Village and met with Chakram leaders. To our surprise Saturday batch i.e. 11th April Batch was cancelled and we were not informed. But we wanted to this climbing and hence said we will stay back for next day. We trekked and reached the Col in between Telbaila walls and did some TP and had breakfast. Then we decided to do Ghangad and Morgiri. So we started climbing down at 9.00 A.M. By this time Jayaram got an emergency call and left to his home. Me, Sau, Deepak and Vikram continued to Ghangad. Enroute we took snaps of Navra-Navri Pinnacles and We reached Ekole the base village and filed our water bottles. We started our climbing. Enroute we came across a Nandi which was dug up from its place. Some miscreants had done this and while digging they even broke it. I think purpose must be stealing but since it broke they left it back. Then we reached the base fort walls of Ghangad. Just before this, there is some stone formation formed in form of a 10ft high Pinnacle. We did some photography here. Then we reached the Darwaja and some rock cut caves were visible. On right was a big piece of Rock which had come off the wall. It must be 50—60 feet high rock piece. It looks enormous. On left is a small 15 ft rock patch which is easy to reach top. I had done Ghangad earlier and Sun had heated the rock. So Deepak, Sau and Vikram Continued Climbing the patch and I made jaljeera for myself. Vikram also came down in few mins. Then me and Vikram settled in shade and had some Time pass discussion. Sau and Deepak were engrossed in photography on top and came after an hour. I helped them climb down and then we had something to eat like cucumber and Bourborn biscuits and jaljeera water to sustain. Afternoon was extremely hot and we started climbing down the Dhangad. After this we decided to have lunch at Cloud 9 hotel and moved towards Lonavala. Lunch was good with PAvbhaji, Wads Pav, Uttapa at Hotel and then we moved to Lonavala through same bad road and Amby Valley highway.
We had some coffee and cold drinks in Lonavala and then Vikram departed. We did some shopping in Lonavala for our lunch next day and blanket to for sleeping. Then Deepak went to his Sis’s place and me and Sau decided to go back to Telbaila Village. The drive through the forest in night was exhilarating. A car crossed us in middle of forest and suddenly someone called Sau. We were surprised who knows us in this forest. Actually Rajan and Sharang were going to Lonavala for dinner and get their punctured tyre made. Then we continued our beautiful ride in moonlight and reached base village. We did some photography of Moon which was looking so beautiful and then dozed off. Night some 12 people from Chakram came in bus by 3.00 A.M.


12th April'09: I woke up at 5.00 A.M. and went for my morning activities. Nature is best place as a change for this activity ☺. Then I woke up Sau and we did our packing and got ready for climbing. My heart was beating faster today as I had waited for this climb for 6 long years. After this I went to Chakram group and told them to get ready and come to the house of ‘Rambhau Mene’ where we were staying as breakfast and tea was ready. Temple of Taibaila village was beautiful now and with hard brick walls. 6 years back it was in shambles when I had come earlier and stayed there. After this we started our climbing saluting the first rays of Sun and reached the Col in between walls of Telbaila. Ropes were already fixed a day before by the volunteers and leader and climbing started.some 18 of us did climbing. Sau and Deepak were before me. Then came my turn, I got on my harness and carried my camera, waterbottle and kokam sharbat in my bag. The bolting on this walls has been recently done by Safe Climbing Insitute. Till first bolt the climb is easy and then you need to go left and climb a small patch where Mangesh was there to support. Man this man is like a Lizard to cling to rock. He helped me get through this patch and then again there is a left traverse. This move is little frightening but I did it with guidance from Mangesh. Once you cross this Nitin was there to receive and he had Kokam Sharbat from my bag. Few steos and you reach first cave. Here me and Pinak took some snaps and rested. Then we have to walk horizontally and cross some more steps and reach second cave. From this second cave is a overhang climb where wire ladder was put up to make it easier. Sau, Deepak and Vinay were also there in the cave waiting turn to go up as simultaneously people were rappelling down too. I told Sau that now I will go before him so that he can take my snaps. I climbed this overhang in few mins and then Rajan tied me up to a bolt and asked me to seat as Gaurav was getting down. Then I moved to Sharang who guided me to climb the last rock patch and reach Vilas. After this there was a scree walk and I was on top where Sudeep, Sada, Deepak and Gautami welcomed me. My joy knew no bounds that I had done it. Then we did some photography on top and walked to both ends of wall. The satisfaction level of scaling this wall was too high.

After this I climbed down the scree and same path and again with Sharang’s guidance came down. I reached Rajan and rappelled down to second cave. I had water and again had a lateral walk towards Nitin along with Mangesh. I then rappelled down to the Col. Then we waited for Sau who also came soon and then we all went to Telbaila village. The volunteers took quite some time to wind up and it was dark. They came down by 10.00 P.M. and really great of them to climb down in torch lights. Hats off to these guys to maintain such safety standards and ensuring everyone climbs. We took our bikes and left Telbaila by 8.45 P.M. and I reached home by 11.45 P.M. on my bike.

1 comment:

  1. Nice compilation Purvya!
    Man... I bet I would have liked to do that climb as well...It did look challenging!
    You guys were hell-bent to do that climb this time....right?...the fact that you guys stayed there for an extra night to do this is awesome!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete