Friday, May 15, 2009

Kalkalrai Conquered

Group: Chakram Hikers
Base Village: Jambhavli (Kamshet)
Base Village: Sankshi (Karjat side)

9th May’09: I had been to Dhak Bahiri before 3-4 times and every time the visit has been exciting. Recently we had also been to Dhak fort. Every time when we used to pass the Dhak pinnacle or famously known as Kalkarai Pinnacle I used to watch it with awe. This time we were here to scale this pinnacle. The mere idea of scaling this pinnacle gave made my adrenalin rush.

I was staying for last couple of days at Saurabh’s home in Talegaon and was on official tour in Pune. I had already got the necessities for trek with me and started for trek from Sau’s home. On 9th ; we did some shopping for Saurabh in evening in Shoppers stop and Central and came back to get prepared for trek. We bought some cucumbers and bread, cheese spread and also some bourbon biscuits for trek. At around 9.30 P.M. Saurabh’s dad dropped us on Mumbai-Pune highway where Mangesh, our leader was waiting for us. We got into his Swift and swiftly moved towards Kamshet with a stopover at Kanhe for Petrol. We even got the multipurpose fuel stove filled at petrol pump as it will be required for tea in morning next day. We came to Kamshet and halted at diversion of Jambhavli and looked around for some tea corner. But none was available. We called up Mak who was coming on bike from Mumbai and others who were in Qualis.

We then moved to highway dhaba and had tea and came back and met Mak and Reshma who had arrived from Mumbai. We decided to move ahead to Jambhavli and informed the people in Qualis about the same; as they took stop at Lonavla for dinner. We reached jambhavli in an hour or so and road was okay. Then me and Mak went on bike and checked whether car can be taken to Kondeshwar Mandir which is about 2 K.M. ahead of Jambhavli. We found, it can be done and even temple was empty to stay. So we continued back to Mangesh so that we can stay at Kondeshwar that night. It was little hot inside temple and hence we decided to sleep outside only. It was already around 2.00 A.m. to sleep.
10th May’09: I woke up at 5.30 A.M. and found people in Qualis had also turned up at night sometime. I freshened myself and put on an additional T-Shirt as it was getting very cold. I went to fetch water for tea. Lot of frogs were in the pond whom I shooed away and filled water, But a fish came in my vessel and I did not realize the same in darkness. After; while making tea someone realized about fish and it was filtered and thrown out. “Saala Nonveg Chaha Zala”
After tea and breakfast we started our trek towards Kalkarai. Suhas, Mangesh and Saurabh continued ahead and we trudged behind. By the time we reached Mangesh and Suhas had reached second ledge already i.e. around 80-90 feet of patch already done. We all reached base and settled down for rope to be fixed since we could not see third ledge which was a traverse towards exposed valley. Reshma had just come to rest and was reading some book called “Aag ka Dariya” and we were chitchatting. By 11.00 A.M. Ropes were fixed and climbing started. First went Kaustubh and then Saurabh and then was my turn. For First 2 ledges we were given Zumar for protection and support to climb which was easier. Just before second ledge was little space where we needed to hold on to some pinch holds and move our Zumar up and pull body up asap; as grips were small. It was little tricky one. But most of us got through easily here. Now was the most exciting part of the climb. From Second ledge you move little across towards right and come towards exposed valley. Here there is a little overhanging rock around which you have to take traverse and then you are on one of the big ledge. Mangesh asked me that whether I need ladder for this and I said no that I will attempt this one. First I caught the left steel bolt in my 2 fingers and a right screw bolt in one finger and pulled my body up and rested my right foot on small foot hold on exposed valley patch. Then Mangesh guided me to hold a inner cut in crack at knee level with my left hand and somehow took my left leg up too. Now slowly I moved my left hand form inner cut further towards right more. Now Mangesh said Mak from other ledge will guide me and I still could not see Mak but only could hear him. I was asked to put my right hand right across the the stomach of the rock and look for a big crack in it. The crack was not visible as we needed to bend far ahead for it to be seen. Mak was guiding my hand like little ahead, one more inch; little up etc. as only he could see my hand movement searching for the crack. This time I received a cramp in my right leg and left leg started to shiver. Mangesh was firmly holding my left leg and my first attempt of searching the crack had failed and I recoiled. Then I started again and once more I failed. Now I attempted third time and immediately this time I located crack and then I removed my left hand from inner crack and put in the newly located big crack and pulled my body towards Mak. I was surprised to see such a huge ledge there. 5-6 people will easily stand there. My throat had gone parched and I just could not speak when I reached near Mak. He asked me to sit for some time and offered me water. Thanks to Sada I even got Guava juice to drink there. It was amazing experience. Now ahead was a 7-8 feet high patch and there was hardly any place to put your feet below and pull up your body. I caught a hump on the patch and pulled my body up and immediately rested my left leg on steel bolt and then with press hold pulled myself up. After that It was just too easy another 10-12 feet and I was on top of Kalkarai. The satisfaction of this climb was amazing.

Suhas, Sagar and Saurabh welcomed me on top and I made Jaljeera for everyone. After some photography on top I started rapelling down the pinnacle. First 15 feet went smooth and then was overhang. I saw Mangesh down on second ledge where I was supposed to stop to complete the first patch of rapelling. I began slowly on overhang patch to rappel down. Mangesh told me to leave both my hands and he will get me down. I blindly trusted him and left the hands from rope and in a minute I was down standing next to Mangesh. Next rappelling was very easy and I got down to the khind junction(Junction where straight goes to Bahiri, right goes to Dhak fort and left to this Pinnacle). By 2.30 everyone was done and we packed and had lunch too and were on return journey. By 4.00 we reached Kondeshwar Temple and then moved towards Jambhavli. We had some nimbu pani and jaljeera and moved towards Kamshet. Seeing off everyone at Kamshet, Me, sau and Mangesh took back old Mumbai-Pune Highway for Talegaon. We dropped at Talegaon junction and took tumtum to Sau’s home. Next day I caught Sahaydri to be back to Mumbai. The climb was mesmerizing and will always remain a memorable experience. After this I have decided next Apr-May’10 I am going for NIM – Basic course in Mountaineering.

1 comment: